The Gate 18 is part of the Understanding sub-circuit within the Collective Circuitry of the Human Design chart. So it is all about logic and patterns, and serving the greater good. For our purposes here, it doesn’t matter if it’s black, red, or black and red checkered in a chart.
So, what’s the problem with Gate 18?
The “problem” lies in how this energy gets expressed.
First, the blessing of it. It is a brilliant energy to have… truly an asset. It is called “correction” and it allows a person to perceive what is “off” in a pattern. It’s great for any kind of diagnostic work, including editing as well as diagnosing symptoms, troubleshooting, etc.
This is the high expression of it, which is great. But there is a low expression of it (as there is for every energy in the chart). There is also a timing issue with it.
Either or both of these can reveal the “curse” of this energy. (I use quotes because I don’t believe in curses or inherently negative energies, but this energy can be very uncomfortable or irritating for the person on the receiving end and therefore can be a challenging energy in relationships).
Let me explain.
Gate 18 is not a generated energy (it’s not connected to the Sacral Center) nor a manifested energy (it’s not connected to the Throat Center via a motor-related channel).
So it is a PROJECTED energy. Which means that the expression of it needs to be asked for or recognized before it can be truly heard and valued.
[Learn more about Generated, Manifested, and Projected energies HERE]
That is the timing issue. Correction energy needs to be ASKED FOR before being shared. If not, the person receiving it can feel judged or criticized… which is usually not the intent of the person with the Gate 18. They usually genuinely want to be of help to the other person. But their good intentions don’t come across well if they are not waiting for the right timing–the right energetic opening or a request for their input.
The low expression of the Gate 18 is correction energy that comes out as judgment and criticism. It’s a tendency to always find fault, always point out what is wrong. Never feel satisfied, never find the perfection you seek.
If you have the Gate 18 defined (colored in your chart):
- Deliberately choose to focus on what is right. You will always be aware of what is wrong but you don’t have to focus your attention on it.
- Wait to be ASKED for your corrections. You are a tremendous asset to those who are ready to hear the corrections you offer. But if they are not asking, don’t tell.
- If they are not asking, you could say something like, “I have a suggestion that might be helpful to you… would it be alright if I share it with you?” You’re essentially asking for permission. If they say yes, then you have their attention and they are more likely to hear you and appreciate your contribution. But the best time to share your corrections is when they take the initiative to ask for your observations and suggestions.
If you are around someone who has the Gate 18 defined:
- Recognize the potential value they bring to you, and ASK for their input.
- Don’t take it personally if their correction energy feels like criticism.
- Don’t take it personally if they are never satisfied, if nothing is ever perfect for them.
- Don’t take it personally if they tell you what to do, even though you haven’t asked.
- Did I mention to not take it personally???
Your comments (and corrections!) are welcome. 😉